Sunday, April 15, 2012

Karate Chop

When I first thought about names for this blog, I tried to think of something unique and silly. I rarely take myself seriously, so when I thought about the subject I would frequently blog about I thought Karate Chop Rockstar would do the trick. My previous post explained the Rockstar part but I've been kind of avoiding the karate chop portion since its kinda painful. So, I will start with the funny stuff first....

Ever go to the grocery store, put exactly 25 items in your basket and walk over to the special line for quick trip shoppers and see some ding-dong with 55 items checking out in front of you? Sounds petty but I specifically kept my list to 25 so I could get in and out quickly. The closer you look, you start to see 20 tooth brushes, 20 cans of hairspray, and 15 boxes of yellow cake mix. Yep. Extreme couponing....beep...beep...beep. Fifty five....FIFTY FIVE coupons scanned individually. Perfect. So, generally I am a nice and patient person so naturally I jump on Facebook and vent about it and I might even post a picture. Other than that, I sit quietly wondering what the heck you would do with 20 cans of hairspray. Aquanet no less...... maybe she is the personal assistant for the old cast of Dallas.

Beep...Beep...beep....

As my mind wonders, I start to think how great it would be to karate chop EVERY SINGLE ITEM off the conveyor belt and then give the lady a nice smile.

And so it began. Every time I was annoyed about something or had my feelings hurt but didn't have the courage to say anything, mentally I was a ninja... karate chopping my way to see justice prevail.

"Ma'am?"

"Yes?"

"Paper or plastic?"

Now to the hard part...

As you probably know, my son has Hemophilia. When he learned how to crawl, I really worried about him bleeding into his knee joints. The floor was so hard and I couldn't stand to think we might fight a joint bleed so young. I had met some other hemo moms and was given a website for some awesome pants with pads sewn into the knees. They were trendy and you would never know that the pads were in there. I bought a pair and he mostly wore them to church since the floor in the nursery had no padding.

I remember a single mom had joined the church and had a request for baby boy clothes. I thought about all the clothes Caiden had and was going to set some aside to donate. I was talking to one of my friends about donating his clothes and she said "I doubt they want pants with pads in them" she chuckled.

Sticks and stones may brake my bones....but mean words about my kids feel like a punch in the gut.

I remember leaving and crying. He only had one pair and he only wore them when absolutely necessary. He had a closet full of other clothes. It was one of the first times that I felt how truly different his life would be from other boys. How his bruises, medic alert bracelet, helmet, and padded pants would make him stick out so much. My heart ached and looking back I wish I could have karate chopped her. Taught her a lesson that it's not nice to say those things especially to a mom of a special needs kid. Karate chop!



All these years later, that lady is now one of my very good friends. I know that she never meant any harm by her words and still to this day I have never told her how I felt that day. She is an amazing person and I know her heart. She loves Caiden.

I also had a run in with one of the hemophilia treatment center nurses. She was a complete factor Nazi. I would call and say he needs more medicine and she would give me the third degree and doubt everything I reported to her. I can't even begin to count how many times I thought about how I would love to karate chop her. Seriously!?!?! I just LOVE paying out the waazoo for medicine that my son needs to save his life and I have nothing more to do than bug you to get another refill. Karate Chop!

So, there you have it. I hope you can take away something from this post. We all have days when we are too tired to fight the good fight and we decide to just take the abuse. But....always remember... even if it's just in your head... a good 'ol fashion Texas style karate chop never hurt anyone.

3 comments:

  1. You are so funny! Ima be a ninja from now on..."Chop! Chop!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought maybe you were part ninja. The secrets out now.

    ReplyDelete