I am starting a new job next week. Many of you might ask why in the heck I would leave a work from home job (as an RN no less).... But really I am ready for a new start. Only this new start includes pumping milk for my 12 week old. I am determined to not give up. For the past few weeks since I returned from my maternity leave, I have been pumping milk at home for Miss A and sending it to her Granny's house.
No one, but my snorting co-worker Pyka, hears the swish-swish-swish of the pump every 3 hours.
But today I was pumping in pumps. Okay, so they were wedges. 3.5in heels.
It was sort of comical actually. I hooked everything up, turned on the pump, fastened my seat belt and drove home from Houston. I made sure to cover myself up so passing truckers didn't start honking at me. And I made sure not to speed. Those things look like guns you know....
Swish....swish.....swish.....all the way home
Normally I would be excited that they are going to feed us 2 free meals in orientation but, my plan was to slip away and produce Miss A's meal on my lunch break. Eat a crunchy bar of some type and chase it with some water. Not sure how that's gonna work now. The swish...swish...swish ... might annoy my fellow new hires.
Maybe I should tell them I smoke. Smokers get to leave every 3 hours, no questions asked! I know this to be true... I used to smoke.
My friend Carri reminded me of a Faith Whittlesey quote: “Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.”
Except try all that, backwards, in high heels AND pumping milk.
Either way, today reminds me of how much harder it is to be a women sometimes. I can't pee off the side of the boat easily. I can't wash my face and just go out. I can't pick up really big pieces of furniture...
But I can have babies.... and I can make their milk.... that's way cooler than all that other stuff....

Yeah for being a fellow milk machine!!! I think it's great that you plan on keeping up with breastfeeding as you go back to work!!
ReplyDeleteNow you're the lunch lady! Who cares what other people think? You are giving your child what she needs, it is so back-asswards that people are offended by breastfeeding mothers...
ReplyDeleteFrom one Dairy Maid to another - "Yeah, I agree. WAY cooler." :)
ReplyDelete